Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Tuesday, August 18
    Trending
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    • CSA Fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for Unlicensed Cybersecurity Services
    • Morocco Detains More Than 100 Migrants Attempting to Reach Ceuta
    • RANA Files RTI Request Over Private Partnerships for Agenda 111 Hospitals
    • Oil Prices Rise as Iran-U.S. Tensions Threaten Strait of Hormuz
    • Government Targets 70% 5G Population Coverage by 2028
    • Ghanaian Scholarship Students in Russia Demand 14 Months’ Unpaid Stipends
    Janelle Coronation
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunities
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»Politics»Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    Politics

    Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote

    Nathasia NarteyBy Nathasia NarteyAugust 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema has been re-elected for a second five-year term after securing 60% of the vote, according to the country’s Electoral Commission.

    His closest challenger, Brian Mundubile, received 38% of the votes, while the remaining 12 candidates trailed far behind.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    The election result follows a contested process, with Mundubile earlier claiming victory and alleging voting irregularities without providing evidence. His party, the NRPUP, told the BBC that he was in a “secure location under the protection of an international human rights body” following alleged threats against him.

    The development came after several prominent opposition figures were arrested during a raid on Friday, August 14, with authorities accusing them of plotting an insurrection. Mundubile dismissed the allegation as a fabrication.

    In his victory speech, 64-year-old Hichilema expressed gratitude to voters and described the election as evidence that Zambia remains a peaceful and democratic country.

    “We are truly humbled by the trust you have placed in our hands,” he said.

    He added that Zambia was a nation that settles political differences “at the ballot box, and nowhere else.”

    Hichilema also appealed to citizens who supported his opponents, promising that his government would continue working for them.

    Following the declaration, hundreds of supporters of Hichilema’s United Party for National Development (UPND), dressed in the party’s red colours, took to the streets of the capital to celebrate.

    Zambia has a longstanding record of peaceful transfers of power, with presidential transitions taking place through elections since the country returned to multiparty democracy in 1991.

    Opposition Raises Concerns

    It remains unclear whether the opposition will formally challenge the election result.

    Mundubile had alleged discrepancies between polling-station results and those announced officially and also claimed there had been military involvement at tallying centres.

    On Monday, August 17, he described the raid on his home in Lusaka, alleging that armed personnel used an armoured vehicle to break through the gate, damaged doors and windows and opened fire.

    He denied claims by authorities that high-grade military weapons and a militia were being kept at his residence.

    “So they came in to kill us,” he told the BBC.

    However, Mulambo Haimbe, Hichilema’s election agent and a senior UPND member, rejected Mundubile’s account as inaccurate.

    He said criminal charges were being pursued against those arrested and that the courts would determine the relevant issues if the opposition decided to challenge the election outcome.

    The Electoral Commission briefly suspended the counting and announcement of results a day after voting, citing reports of violence against polling officials and the theft of marked ballot papers. The suspension was lifted later the same day.

    Observers Raise Concerns

    Regional and international observers described election day as largely peaceful and urged political actors to remain calm and respect the official electoral process.

    However, observers raised concerns about late electoral reforms, media freedom and access to the media during the campaign period.

    Samuel Tembenu, a former Malawian minister who led the Southern African Development Community (SADC) observer mission, said the team had recorded, but could not verify, reports of intimidation, assault, abduction and property damage in five provinces.

    Observers also expressed concern over the temporary suspension of vote counting, warning that it could undermine the credibility of the electoral process and public confidence.

    The European Union election observation mission further warned that restrictions placed on opposition parties during the campaign period may have contributed to what it described as an “uneven contest.”

    Source: citinews

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    international
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCSA Fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for Unlicensed Cybersecurity Services
    Next Article GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    Nathasia Nartey

    Related Posts

    Morocco Detains More Than 100 Migrants Attempting to Reach Ceuta

    August 18, 2026

    Coalition of 25 States Takes Trump Administration to Court Over Import Duties

    August 6, 2026

    Illinois Man Jailed Over Snapchat Hacking Scheme Targeting Hundreds of Women

    July 22, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    • CSA Fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for Unlicensed Cybersecurity Services
    • Morocco Detains More Than 100 Migrants Attempting to Reach Ceuta
    • RANA Files RTI Request Over Private Partnerships for Agenda 111 Hospitals
    SPORTS NEWS

    Teenager Gwen Klu to Represent Ghana at Billie Jean King Cup in Botswana

    July 13, 2026

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025
    Site Search
    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items

    August 18, 2026

    CSA Fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for Unlicensed Cybersecurity Services

    August 18, 2026

    Morocco Detains More Than 100 Migrants Attempting to Reach Ceuta

    August 18, 2026

    RANA Files RTI Request Over Private Partnerships for Agenda 111 Hospitals

    August 18, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:
    [social]
    [social]
    [social_icon link="https://web.facebook.com/myghanadaily" target="_blank" title="Facebook" type="facebook" /]
    [social_icon link="https://twitter.com/myghanadaily" title="Twitter" type="twitter" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.instagram.com/myghanadaily/" title="Instagram" type="instagram" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.linkedin.com/company/ghanadaily/?viewAsMember=true" title="LinkedIn" type="linkedin" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7Vo_hD-KN5TelebUlHthw?view_as=subscriber" title="Youtube" type="youtube" /]
    [social_icon link="https://medium.com/ghana-stories" title="medium" type="medium"]
    [/social]

    Popular Posts

    GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items

    August 18, 2026

    Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote

    August 18, 2026

    CSA Fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for Unlicensed Cybersecurity Services

    August 18, 2026

    © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Recent Posts
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    • CSA Fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for Unlicensed Cybersecurity Services
    • Morocco Detains More Than 100 Migrants Attempting to Reach Ceuta
    • RANA Files RTI Request Over Private Partnerships for Agenda 111 Hospitals
    Like Us On Facebook
    Loading...
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Banner
    © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.