Moroccan authorities have detained more than 100 migrants who were reportedly attempting to reach the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta from the town of Fnideq.
Moroccan security sources cited by Spanish media and Reuters said 111 people were detained in and around Fnideq, also known as Castillejos in Spanish, about three kilometres from the border. Most of those detained were reportedly from sub-Saharan Africa.
Moroccan police, including officers in riot gear, reportedly used tear gas to disperse groups of migrants who had gathered on nearby hills as they attempted to approach the border.
The latest incident comes about two weeks after a major influx of migrants into Ceuta, when roughly 78,000 people reportedly arrived by sea within a matter of hours. The mayor of Ceuta said about 100 people died during the incident, while the vast majority of those who arrived were subsequently returned to Morocco.
Security measures in the area have since been intensified amid reports on social media of another planned mass crossing.
Earlier in the week, Morocco’s government said it was monitoring social media posts and messages of unknown origin calling for a mass crossing on Saturday. Authorities warned that organisers and participants could face prosecution.
Spanish newspaper El País reported that security around the breakwater entrance was 10 times stronger than the previous day. Morocco reportedly deployed army personnel, navy speedboats and drones, while Spain sent more than 1,500 security officers to patrol the area.
Spain has also installed a metal fence and floating barrier following last month’s influx.
The migration crisis has created tensions among European countries and drawn criticism of the Spanish government’s handling of the situation.
Italy suspended the 29-member Schengen free-movement arrangement with Spain and introduced border checks on people arriving from Spain. Finland and Denmark supported the move, while the Czech Republic called for Spain’s membership to be temporarily suspended.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez rejected the criticism, stressing that Ceuta is not part of the Schengen Area and that migrants arriving there had not entered mainland Spain or gained access to other European countries.
Spain subsequently introduced its own border controls after Italy refused to withdraw its measures, citing concerns over another potential influx on August 15.
Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Italy had acted because of fears of “a risk of a new wave of arrivals in Ceuta.
“We’re not waging any kind of ‘battle’ against Spain – we’re simply carefully controlling arrivals,” Tajani said.
He added that Spain should focus its attention on Morocco rather than criticising Italy’s border controls.
Emergency contacts in Ghana: The public can contact the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) on 0302 964 884 or 0291 913 077, or dial 112.
Source: 3news
