Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Thursday, May 21
    Trending
    • Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport
    • Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa
    • Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions
    • Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29
    • Abronye DC Granted GH¢100,000 Bail in False Publication Case
    • develoPPP Ventures Reopens Applications for Ghanaian Start-ups
    • Court of Appeal Orders Bank of Ghana to Restore GN Savings Licence
    • Dzifa Gomashie Reaffirms Support for Youth Empowerment Through Arts and Culture
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»News»COVID-19: Exit plan for SHS students after WASSCE being developed – GES
    News

    COVID-19: Exit plan for SHS students after WASSCE being developed – GES

    myghanadailyBy myghanadailyJuly 15, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prof. Kwasi Opoku Amankwa 1

    The Ghana Education Service (GES) says it has in collaboration with the Ghana Health Service began working on a strategic plan on how Senior High School (SHS) students will be made to go back home after the successful completion of the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Among the measures to be adopted is a possible mandatory quarantine of the students before they are finally allowed to integrate with the larger community.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    Director-General of the GES, Prof. Kwasi Owusu-Amankwa who gave the hint, however, did not mention mass testing as one of the steps to be taken.

    He indicated that the predetermined criteria will be spelt out to ensure the necessary safety precautions to avert any further spread of the virus once the students return home.

    “When the students are done with the WASSCE, they will definitely go home. The conversation is that the Ghana Health Service will put in whatever contingency measure in place before they go home. They [Ghana Health Service] will tell us the details but maybe when they [students]are going home, some arrangements will be made for them to quarantine. I had a conversation with the Ghana Health Service Director-General so obviously something will be done”, he told Umaru Sanda Amadu on Face to Face on Citi TV.

    Parents are glad about our COVID-19 safety measures

    Contrary to the overwhelming concerns raised by anxious parents over the poor handling of COVID-19 cases and their accompanying measures in schools across the country, management of the Ghana Education Service (GES) says its findings rather show parents are pleased with the instituted protocols thus far.

    Prof. Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa on Face to Face disclosed that “so far the parents who have called me and my other officials, are so glad about the measures we have put in place and how we are handling the issues”.

    Justifying this position albeit the large number of parents who have besieged schools with recorded cases of  COVID-19 to demand the release of their children, Prof. Amankwa said it was because “the media created panic which for me was needless”.

    The GES boss dismissed calls for students to be allowed to return home insisting “that they will come back with the infections they have collected in the schools into the larger society for the bigger society to be infected. Is that what we want?”

    “I don’t think this is what the conversations should be. The conversations should rather be on what measures have been put in place for issues like safety. The health people tell us that we will be better off keeping them in there and treating them,” Prof. Amankwah stressed.

    Since the reopening of schools for final year students to enable them to partake in their exit examinations, parents, educational stakeholders, the Minority in Parliament, the opposition National Democratic  Congress (NDC) and the National Council for Parent Teacher Association (PTA) have called for the closure of the schools given the increase in the number of cases being recorded in educational institutions.

    The NDC, for instance, said a reversal of the reopening of schools would be the only way to express the government’s commitment of not endangering the lives of students and staff as promised.

    Some have also called for the mass testing of students as an additional infection management protocol.

    Although some guidelines have been outlined to stem the spread, these groups say they are not completely enthused about existing situations in the schools hence, students should be allowed to return home in a bid to safeguard them against the virus.

    Source: citinewsroom.com

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleMoMo Joint, new Ghanaian webseries to be premiered on Canadian VOD platform on 31st July
    Next Article Coronavirus: Final-stage vaccine trials to begin this month
    myghanadaily

    myghanadaily is managed by the Publishing Desk. You can reach us via email; info@myghanadaily.com

    Related Posts

    Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport

    May 21, 2026

    Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa

    May 21, 2026

    Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions

    May 21, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport
    • Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa
    • Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions
    • Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29
    • Abronye DC Granted GH¢100,000 Bail in False Publication Case
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport

    May 21, 2026

    Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa

    May 21, 2026

    Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions

    May 21, 2026

    Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29

    May 21, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport

      May 21, 2026

      Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa

      May 21, 2026

      Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions

      May 21, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport
      • Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa
      • Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions
      • Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29
      • Abronye DC Granted GH¢100,000 Bail in False Publication Case
      Like Us On Facebook
      Loading...
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.