Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Saturday, November 29
    Trending
    • The GCC’s Expanding Footprint in Africa: Trade, Investment, and Geopolitical Influence
    • Qatar’s $103bn Investment: Pledging to Deepen Its Influence Across Africa
    • AfDB, EIB Commit $275m to Transform Mauritania’s Mining Railway Corridor
    • Deepening Ghana-Qatar Strategic Relations: Leveraging Economic Diplomacy, Labour Mobility, and Gulf Investments for National Development
    • UNDP and Hormuud Salaam Foundation partner to boost jobs in Somalia’s green and blue economy
    • Digital Marketers’ Conference 2025 Happening Tomorrow
    • Veteran actor William Addo Passes On
    • GAMADA to Hosts First Stakeholders’ Roundtable to Promote Inclusive Management of James Town Fishing Harbour
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»DR Congo: WHO alarmed over sexual exploitation by aid workers
    World

    DR Congo: WHO alarmed over sexual exploitation by aid workers

    ComfortBy ComfortSeptember 29, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    A7122953 861E 433A 9E37 51F47981A260

    World Health Organization (WHO) staff were among 83 aid workers who sexually abused women and girls while tackling the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a report finds.

    The abuses, which included nine allegations of rape, were committed by both national and international workers between 2018 and 2020.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    The report comes after more than 50 local women reported sexual abuse.

    WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was “inexcusable”.

    The 35-page report was produced by an independent commission following an investigation.

    The commission, which interviewed dozens of women who had alleged they were offered work in exchange for sex, found that 21 of the 83 alleged perpetrators were employed by the WHO.

    Local women were also allegedly plied with drinks, “ambushed” in hospitals, forced to have sex, and two became pregnant.

    The WHO said it was terminating the contracts of four people who were still employed by the organization and promised more measures would be taken.

    Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday, Dr Tedros said the report made for harrowing reading and apologized directly to the victims and survivors.

    “I’m sorry for what was done to you by people who are employed by WHO to serve and protect you,” he said. “It is my top priority that the perpetrators are not excused, but held to account.”

    He said the responsibility ultimately rested with him and promised to help support and protect victims while vowing to overhaul the WHO’s structure and culture.

    WHO Africa regional director Matshidiso Moeti also apologized to those who suffered “because of the actions of our staff”.

    She said she was “humbled, horrified and heartbroken” by the inquiry’s findings.

    The commission said it found “clear structural failures and unpreparedness to manage the risks of incidents of sexual exploitation and abuse” in the central African country.

    It said this was partly because of the focus on eradicating Ebola.

    More than 2,000 people died in the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo.

    The WHO, which spearheaded global efforts to curb the spread of the outbreak, declared it over in June last year.

    Source: BBC

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    International News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleHalt demolishing of Budumburam camp—Angry residents to gov’t
    Next Article Two brothers suspected to be involved in highway robberies arrested
    Comfort

    Related Posts

    UNDP and Hormuud Salaam Foundation partner to boost jobs in Somalia’s green and blue economy

    November 28, 2025

    Amazon streaming services hit by major outage as global cloud unit falters

    October 20, 2025

    Google owner Alphabet unveils £5bn UK AI investment

    September 17, 2025
    LATEST NEWS
    • The GCC’s Expanding Footprint in Africa: Trade, Investment, and Geopolitical Influence
    • Qatar’s $103bn Investment: Pledging to Deepen Its Influence Across Africa
    • AfDB, EIB Commit $275m to Transform Mauritania’s Mining Railway Corridor
    • Deepening Ghana-Qatar Strategic Relations: Leveraging Economic Diplomacy, Labour Mobility, and Gulf Investments for National Development
    • UNDP and Hormuud Salaam Foundation partner to boost jobs in Somalia’s green and blue economy
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    AfDB, EIB Commit $275m to Transform Mauritania’s Mining Railway Corridor

    November 28, 2025

    Deepening Ghana-Qatar Strategic Relations: Leveraging Economic Diplomacy, Labour Mobility, and Gulf Investments for National Development

    November 28, 2025

    UNDP and Hormuud Salaam Foundation partner to boost jobs in Somalia’s green and blue economy

    November 28, 2025

    Digital Marketers’ Conference 2025 Happening Tomorrow

    November 27, 2025
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      The GCC’s Expanding Footprint in Africa: Trade, Investment, and Geopolitical Influence

      November 28, 2025

      Qatar’s $103bn Investment: Pledging to Deepen Its Influence Across Africa

      November 28, 2025

      AfDB, EIB Commit $275m to Transform Mauritania’s Mining Railway Corridor

      November 28, 2025

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • The GCC’s Expanding Footprint in Africa: Trade, Investment, and Geopolitical Influence
      • Qatar’s $103bn Investment: Pledging to Deepen Its Influence Across Africa
      • AfDB, EIB Commit $275m to Transform Mauritania’s Mining Railway Corridor
      • Deepening Ghana-Qatar Strategic Relations: Leveraging Economic Diplomacy, Labour Mobility, and Gulf Investments for National Development
      • UNDP and Hormuud Salaam Foundation partner to boost jobs in Somalia’s green and blue economy
      Like Us On Facebook
      Facebook Pagelike Widget
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.