Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Sunday, August 23
    Trending
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    • Jomoro Municipal Assembly Launches Free Primary Healthcare Programme
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    Janelle Coronation
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunities
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»ECOWAS lifts all sanctions on four member states run by military
    World

    ECOWAS lifts all sanctions on four member states run by military

    MGD NewsBy MGD NewsFebruary 24, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has lifted sanctions imposed on Niger Republic, Mali, Burkina Faso, and the Republic of Guinea-Bissau, member states that are ruled by the military.

    The ECOWAS officials said on Saturday [Feb. 24], that the decision was based on humanitarian concerns, particularly given the Lent season and the approaching month of Ramadan.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    The West African regional bloc has invited all four countries to an imminent meeting.

    The bloc has eased the sanctions it placed on Niger after the military takeover last year. The move forms part of a renewed drive for diplomacy following a series of political crises in the area in recent months.

    A no-fly zone and border closures were among the sanctions being lifted “with immediate effect,” the president of the ECOWAS Commission, Omar Alieu Touray, said on Saturday, according to an Aljazeera report.

    The lifting of the sanctions is “on purely humanitarian grounds” to ease the suffering caused as a result, Touray told reporters after the bloc’s summit in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.

    The summit aimed to address existential threats facing the region as well as implore three military-led nations that have quit the bloc—Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso—to rescind their decision.

    Following recent coups, all three member states exited the bloc.

    ECOWAS chairman and Nigerian President Bola Tinubu said in his opening address that the bloc “must re-examine our current approach to the quest for constitutional order in four of our Member States”, referring to the three suspended countries, as well as Guinea, which is also military-led.

    Prez Tinubu urged Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso to “reconsider the decision” and said they should “not perceive our organisation as the enemy.”

    Niger’s President Bazoum was toppled in a military coup in July, causing ECOWAS to restrict trade and impose sanctions on the country.

    Reports suggest he is still imprisoned at Niamey’s Presidential Palace. On the eve of the conference, his lawyers petitioned ECOWAS to demand his release.

    Earlier this week, ECOWAS co-founder and former Nigerian military leader General Yakubu Gowon reportedly called for the body to lift “all sanctions that have been imposed on Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali and Niger”.

    Source: myghanadaily

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    International News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleNCA shuts down 4 radio stations in Upper East Region
    Next Article Rotary Club donates to the Complementary Education Agency, Kpone-Katamanso Office
    MGD News

    MGD News  is managed by the Publishing Desk. You can reach us via email; info@myghanadaily.com

    Related Posts

    Uganda orders bars to remain closed until 3pm on working days

    August 12, 2026

    Andy Burnham Becomes UK Prime Minister Following Keir Starmer’s Resignation

    July 23, 2026

    FAO and FARA Convene a Regional Consultation to Accelerate the Integration of Opportunity Crops into Africa’s Food Systems

    June 8, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    SPORTS NEWS

    Teenager Gwen Klu to Represent Ghana at Billie Jean King Cup in Botswana

    July 13, 2026

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025
    Site Search
    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament

    August 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:
    [social]
    [social]
    [social_icon link="https://web.facebook.com/myghanadaily" target="_blank" title="Facebook" type="facebook" /]
    [social_icon link="https://twitter.com/myghanadaily" title="Twitter" type="twitter" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.instagram.com/myghanadaily/" title="Instagram" type="instagram" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.linkedin.com/company/ghanadaily/?viewAsMember=true" title="LinkedIn" type="linkedin" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7Vo_hD-KN5TelebUlHthw?view_as=subscriber" title="Youtube" type="youtube" /]
    [social_icon link="https://medium.com/ghana-stories" title="medium" type="medium"]
    [/social]

    Popular Posts

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Recent Posts
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    Like Us On Facebook
    Loading...
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Banner
    © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.