Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Friday, May 22
    Trending
    • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
    • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
    • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
    • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
    • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
    • Doctor Sues Three Major Hospitals, AG Over Alleged Negligence in Brother’s Death
    • SSNIT Denies Plans to Sell Hotels, Clarifies Consultancy Engagement
    • Mahama Begins Two-Day “Resetting Ghana Tour” of Savannah Region
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»Fire ‘destroys’ Europe’s largest migrant camp
    World

    Fire ‘destroys’ Europe’s largest migrant camp

    ComfortBy ComfortSeptember 9, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    im 229963

    Europe’s largest migrant camp, Moria, has been “completely destroyed” after massive fires broke out early Wednesday at the overcrowded site on Greece’s Lesbos island, according to an eyewitness.

    Firefighters are trying to contain the fire at the refugee camp, home to an estimated 13,000 people, more than six times its maximum capacity of 2,200 people.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    There are no reports of injuries so far, and authorities have said they are still assessing the scope of the damage. George Moutafis, a photographer on the ground, told Greek TV channel Mega that the camp has been “completely destroyed.”

    “The Moria camp no longer exists. The camp has been completely destroyed. The containers and tents have been completely destroyed. The fires are now out. Many migrants and refugees are now back at the camp and looking for their belongings,” Moutafis said.

    The cause of the fire remains unknown, according to Greek authorities. The camp is under lockdown after 35 people tested positive for Covid-19 earlier this week. Local media suggested the fires may have been started deliberately.

    A German charity group at the scene said a protest erupted at the camp on Tuesday night over lockdown measures.

    “In the evening, the anger and despair of the refugees who have been interned at Moria erupted,” the German group Mission Lifeline said in a statement.

    “First there was a dispute at the Covid19 station in the camp which spread to the entire area during the night. Security forces used tear gas,” the statement said. “A large part of the dwellings burned down. The homeless people fled into the surrounding olive groves.”

    A German charity group at the scene said a protest had earlier erupted at the camp over lockdown measures.

    Axel Steier, Co-founder of Mission Life, said he warned that the situation would “escalate” over the camp’s poor conditions, calling the lockdown measures “the final straw.”

    “The people in Moria are exposed to extreme psychological stress. The lockdown of the camp has now been the final straw,” said Steier. “The refugees in Moria are not treated as humans.

    “Among other things, we asked the (German) federal government, again and again, to evacuate all people from the Greek camps. But hardly anything has happened,” Steier added.

    The Moria encampment extends out of the main UN camp into olive groves where thousands live in makeshift wooden huts they built out of wooden pellets and tarpaulin, hammered down with nails. The inhabitants say they wait for hours to use a bathroom and sometimes spend an entire day queuing for food.

    When CNN reported from the camp in March, a rank odor filled the air, the river was strewn in garbage and camp dwellers staged protests at the island’s main port on a nearly daily basis demanding transport to the Greek mainland.

    Source: Ghana/Starrfm.com.gh/103.5FM

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    international
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleSouth Africa’s ANC blasts ‘divisive’ Trump over Mandela
    Next Article Next NDC government will address crisis in basic education – Ablakwa
    Comfort

    Related Posts

    eBay Rejects $55.5 Billion Takeover Bid from GameStop

    May 15, 2026

    Japan Airlines to Deploy Humanoid Robots for Ground Operations at Haneda Airport

    May 7, 2026

    CNN Founder Ted Turner Dies at 87

    May 7, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
    • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
    • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
    • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
    • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training

    May 22, 2026

    Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie

    May 22, 2026

    Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West

    May 22, 2026

    Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission

    May 22, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training

      May 22, 2026

      Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie

      May 22, 2026

      Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West

      May 22, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
      • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
      • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
      • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
      • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
      Like Us On Facebook
      Loading...
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.