Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Thursday, May 21
    Trending
    • Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport
    • Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa
    • Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions
    • Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29
    • Abronye DC Granted GH¢100,000 Bail in False Publication Case
    • develoPPP Ventures Reopens Applications for Ghanaian Start-ups
    • Court of Appeal Orders Bank of Ghana to Restore GN Savings Licence
    • Dzifa Gomashie Reaffirms Support for Youth Empowerment Through Arts and Culture
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»Business»Freight forwarders protest challenges with clearing system at Tema Port
    Business

    Freight forwarders protest challenges with clearing system at Tema Port

    Janet SaahBy Janet SaahJune 2, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Freight

    Some freight forwarders at the Tema Port on Monday protested against what they claimed were delays in the processing of documents to clear their goods from the port, attributing the situation to the full implementation of the Integrated Customs Management System (ICUMS), also known as Uni-Pass, which has taken full charge of cargo clearance at the port.

    The protesters, who gathered at the Tema Command of the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), chanted: ‘We want GCNet! We want GCNet!!’.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    They demanded that the operating systems of the former service provider, the Ghana Community Network Services (GCNet), be restored to allow them to exit their consignments which were processed and cleared through that system.

    Similarly, the group claimed that some shipping agents were unable to load vessel manifests on new imports that had arrived at the port due to the challenges with the new system.

    They further alleged that they faced difficulty processing bills of entry (BoEs) on new imports through the ICUMS, as the system either registered the entries as errors or rejected them entirely.

    Besides, they said the ICUMS was unable to populate Tax Identification Numbers (TINs) of importers and agents who were commencing the new import declarations.

    Intervention

    The Minister of Trade, Mr Alan Kyerematen, and his deputy, Mr Carlos Ahenkorah, together with the Commissioner General of the GRA, Mr Ammishaddai Owusu-Amoah, and the Commissioner of the Customs Division of the GRA, Col. (retd) Kwadwo Damoah, were at the port to assess the situation.

    Col Damoah, who had earlier addressed the group, explained that the technical implementation team had anticipated the challenges and made provisions which were outlined in a new road map that was issued to all stakeholders last Saturday.

    While conceding that the demonstrating freight forwarders had genuine concerns, he asked them to channel their complaints to help desks set up at the port for redress.

    port demo 1

    He added that Meridian Port Services (MPS) had put in measures that allowed for the manual release of cargo once all the processes, from payment to examination, had been exhausted.

    Similar arrangements, he said, existed at the terminals operated by the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA), as well as Safebond, and other terminals that handled cargo consignments at the port.

    “We are not happy they have gathered here, defying the physical distancing protocol and unable to undertake their activities which provide them with livelihoods,” Col Damoah said, and called on the group to exercise restraint because Customs officials had been assigned to assist them address their challenges.

    Mr Kyerematen also entreated the protesters to exercise restraint while efforts were made to address their grievances.

    Source: www.graphic.com.gh

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    Business
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleForeigners to undergo mandatory medical exams – Immigration Service
    Next Article EC trains 42,025 officials ahead of 2020 new voter registration
    Janet Saah

    Related Posts

    Ghana Reference Rate Dips to 10.03% in May

    May 6, 2026

    EOCO Sets GH¢55m Bail for Maxwell Kofi Jumah Amid Ongoing Probe

    April 30, 2026

    Government Records Sixth Straight Undersubscription in Latest Treasury Bill Auction

    April 27, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport
    • Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa
    • Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions
    • Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29
    • Abronye DC Granted GH¢100,000 Bail in False Publication Case
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport

    May 21, 2026

    Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa

    May 21, 2026

    Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions

    May 21, 2026

    Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29

    May 21, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport

      May 21, 2026

      Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa

      May 21, 2026

      Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions

      May 21, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • Ghana to Commission 100 New Metro Mass Transit Buses to Boost Public Transport
      • Ghana Postpones Planned Evacuation of Nationals from South Africa
      • Dubai Chambers Deepens Trade and Investment Talks with Ghanaian Institutions
      • Accra Academy to Launch 95th Anniversary Celebrations on May 29
      • Abronye DC Granted GH¢100,000 Bail in False Publication Case
      Like Us On Facebook
      Loading...
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.