Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Friday, August 21
    Trending
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    • Jomoro Municipal Assembly Launches Free Primary Healthcare Programme
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    Janelle Coronation
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunities
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»Social»Girls not Bride unhappy with Numo of Nungua’s marriage to a 12-year-old girl. 
    Social

    Girls not Bride unhappy with Numo of Nungua’s marriage to a 12-year-old girl. 

    myghanadailyBy myghanadailyApril 3, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Girls not Bride unhappy with Numo of Nungua’s marriage to a 12-year-old girl.  The Girls Not Brides (GNB) Ghana Partnership, a coalition for ending child marriage and all forms of violence against girls, has called for the arrest of Numo Borketey Laweh Tsuru XXXIII, Gborbu Wulomo of Nungua for his marriage to a 12-year-old girl. 
    Girls not Bride unhappy with Numo of Nungua’s marriage to a 12-year-old girl.  The Girls Not Brides (GNB) Ghana Partnership, a coalition for ending child marriage and all forms of violence against girls, has called for the arrest of Numo Borketey Laweh Tsuru XXXIII, Gborbu Wulomo of Nungua for his marriage to a 12-year-old girl.  Photo credit: GNB

    Girls not Bride unhappy with Numo of Nungua’s marriage to a 12-year-old girl.  The Girls Not Brides (GNB) Ghana Partnership, a coalition for ending child marriage and all forms of violence against girls, has called for the arrest of Numo Borketey Laweh Tsuru XXXIII, Gborbu Wulomo of Nungua for his marriage to a 12-year-old girl.

    The Girl, whose husband is this 63-year-old traditional religious leader would serve as his spiritual wife.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    It said child marriage had been a violation of human rights that robbed young girls of their childhood, potentials, and prospects, with Ghana having over two million child brides, representing 19 per cent of all young women married before their 18th birthday; an affront to achieving equality indicators under the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.

    Hajia Fati Seidu Tambro, the GNB Ghana Partnership National Chairperson, in a statement copied to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Takoradi, said it found the tradition as a breach of the fundamental human rights of the girl child.

    The statement said Ghana had pledged its commitment to protect its citizens especially vulnerable groups including women and girls, through the ratification of various international conventions and protocols that safeguard them from violence.

    “Article (4) of the UN Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against women (DEVAW) (1993) states that, no State should invoke any custom, tradition or religious consideration in the perpetration of violence against women.”

    Hajia Tambro said Ghana had domesticated these international laws and prohibited all customary practices that dehumanised or were injurious to the physical and mental wellbeing of persons in Article 26(2) of the 1992 Constitution.

    The statement said, “Although the people of Nungua are conforming to their tradition and custom, it must be practice according to the provision of the Constitution and International conventions of which Ghana is a signatory.”

    The GNB Ghana Partnership had therefore appealed to the National House of Chiefs to exercise the powers conferred to them by the laws of the land under Article 49 to 55 of the Chieftaincy Act 2008, to harmonise and modify the customary laws of Ghana to conform to the principles of human rights and gender equality.

    The statement also urged the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection as well as other relevant stakeholders to act accordingly, to save the 12-year-old child from such customary laws which worked against the wellbeing of women and girls in society.

    Source: GNA

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleTwo ECG staff imposters weep as court fined them for extorting money from ECG customers  
    Next Article Let us intensify public education on medical check-ups– Dr Boasiako 
    myghanadaily

    myghanadaily is managed by the Publishing Desk. You can reach us via email; info@myghanadaily.com

    Related Posts

    Wontumi May go to Jail. But Should I laugh or Cry for Rule of Law in Ghana? [Article]

    July 26, 2026

    World Food Programme Graduates 70 Young Innovators to Provide Innovative Digital Solutions to address Food Insecurity

    June 24, 2026

     GEA Calls on Ghanaian Businesses to Seize USVI Opportunity

    June 8, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    SPORTS NEWS

    Teenager Gwen Klu to Represent Ghana at Billie Jean King Cup in Botswana

    July 13, 2026

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025
    Site Search
    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament

    August 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:
    [social]
    [social]
    [social_icon link="https://web.facebook.com/myghanadaily" target="_blank" title="Facebook" type="facebook" /]
    [social_icon link="https://twitter.com/myghanadaily" title="Twitter" type="twitter" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.instagram.com/myghanadaily/" title="Instagram" type="instagram" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.linkedin.com/company/ghanadaily/?viewAsMember=true" title="LinkedIn" type="linkedin" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7Vo_hD-KN5TelebUlHthw?view_as=subscriber" title="Youtube" type="youtube" /]
    [social_icon link="https://medium.com/ghana-stories" title="medium" type="medium"]
    [/social]

    Popular Posts

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Recent Posts
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    Like Us On Facebook
    Loading...
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Banner
    © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.