Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Friday, May 22
    Trending
    • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
    • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
    • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
    • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
    • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
    • Doctor Sues Three Major Hospitals, AG Over Alleged Negligence in Brother’s Death
    • SSNIT Denies Plans to Sell Hotels, Clarifies Consultancy Engagement
    • Mahama Begins Two-Day “Resetting Ghana Tour” of Savannah Region
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»The Bata Explosion in Equatorial Guinea: Death toll now 98
    World

    The Bata Explosion in Equatorial Guinea: Death toll now 98

    ComfortBy ComfortMarch 9, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    bata 696x392 1

    The death toll from a series of explosions in Equatorial Guinea on Sunday has risen to 98, officials say.

    Another 615 people were injured, with 299 still in the hospital.

    The blasts hit a military base in the country’s main city, Bata. Officials blame badly stored dynamite along with stubble burning by nearby farmers.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    The death toll, updated after volunteers spent Monday searching the wreckage for bodies, is more than triple the initial estimate of 31.

    Three young children were found alive and taken to the hospital.

    Almost all buildings and homes in the city suffered “huge damage”, President Teodoro Obiang Nguema said.

    In a statement, President Obiang Nguema said the blasts had been caused “by the negligence of a unit charged with the care and protection of stores of dynamite and explosives” at the Nkoantoma military base.

    He said the base had “caught fire due to neighboring farmers clearing farming land by setting it alight, leading to the explosion”. The president has appealed for international aid.

    In a series of tweets, the health ministry called for volunteer health workers to go to Bata Regional Hospital and for urgent blood donations. The ministry said mental health teams were also being deployed to help victims.

    Some hospitals have been overwhelmed by the number of patients admitted, state TV reported. It broadcast images of wounded people lying on the floor of a crowded hospital.

    Military wreckage in Bata
    Hundreds of people are still in hospital

    Video of the aftermath of the explosions showed a chaotic scene with distressed people fleeing as smoke drifted over the area.

    One resident told AFP news agency: “We haven’t slept all night. The houses were burning all night long and we kept hearing small explosions.”

    Another described how his uncle had found the burned bodies of five members of his family.

    The only opposition party, the CPDS, described the blasts as “the greatest humanitarian catastrophe in the history of Equatorial Guinea” and called on Spain, France and the United States to send aid, including rescue teams, medical staff and medicines.

    Spanish Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez tweeted on Monday that Spain would “proceed with the immediate dispatch of a shipment of humanitarian aid”.
    Source: Starrfmonline.com

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    International News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleGov’t to roll out app to aid COVID-19 vaccine rollout – GHS
    Next Article Oprah Interview: Meghan ‘didn’t want to live anymore’
    Comfort

    Related Posts

    Thaksin Shinawatra Released from Prison After Eight Months

    May 14, 2026

    Donald Trump Administration Waives $15,000 Visa Bond for World Cup Fans from 50 Countries

    May 14, 2026

    TikTok Introduces Paid Ad-Free Subscription for UK Users

    May 12, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
    • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
    • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
    • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
    • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training

    May 22, 2026

    Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie

    May 22, 2026

    Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West

    May 22, 2026

    Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission

    May 22, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training

      May 22, 2026

      Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie

      May 22, 2026

      Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West

      May 22, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
      • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
      • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
      • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
      • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
      Like Us On Facebook
      Loading...
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.