Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Thursday, February 19
    Trending
    • CLOGSAG Announces Nationwide Strike from March 9
    • Scholarship Authority Conducts Competitive Exams for Stipendium Hungaricum Programme Applicants
    • President Mahama Visits Ghanaian Survivors of Burkina Faso Attack at 37 Military Hospital
    • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
    • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
    • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
    • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
    • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»News»GBC workers to petition NMC today over reduction of TV channels
    News

    GBC workers to petition NMC today over reduction of TV channels

    myghanadailyBy myghanadailyJuly 20, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    gbc 1 1

    Unionised staff of the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC), say they will petition the National Media Commission (NMC) today, Monday, July 20, 2020, to intervene over plans by the government to cede three of its channels.

    Communications Minister, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, in a letter dated June 29th 2020, directed the Director-General of GBC to reduce the Corporation’s channels on Ghana’s Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) platform from six to three within 60 days.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    The Union last Friday held a durbar to protest the move, saying it will render some workers jobless.

    Speaking to Citi News, the Vice Chairman of the Union Mark Agodoa, said the NMC must intervene.

    “Yes, we will petition. We will send a petition to the NMC because we want the NMC to intervene. It is their constitutional mandate to do that. We just want them to talk or maybe negotiate because the workers are resolute with their decision. Whatever the case is, there is a room for dialogue.”

    Protest

    The GBC staff have already served notice they will challenge moves to reduce the state broadcaster’s channels.

    According to them, the decision could lead to the collapse of the company.

    Secretary of the GBC Union, Nutor Bibinii had told Citi News the workers will continually protest the government’s decision until the Minister of Communication rescinds the decision.

    “We are humbly advising her [Minister of Communications]. She can take ten channels to herself but what belongs to the state, no political activist can come for it. If previous Ministers of Communication were taking one each, how many would have been left? We are saying no. It will not work and we shall challenge this decision at the peril of our lives”. he said.

    Currently, GBC is said to be operating on the DSTV, GBC T1 and DTT transmission platforms.

    TV users who have access to these platforms are able to watch all of GBC’s six channels on either platform.

    GBC had already written to the NMC to express its dissatisfaction over the matter.

    Information Ministry clarifies

    The Minister of Information, Oppong Nkrumah, under whose Ministry the state broadcaster falls, had explained that the managers of the DTT platform want to reduce redundancy hence the directive to GBC.

    The move has not sat well with some individuals and groups, including the Minority side in Parliament.

    The Minority said the request from the Communications Ministry was unlawful.

    In a bid to nullify the proposed move, the GBC has written to the National Media Commission (NMC) for urgent help.

    Source: citinewsroom.com

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleMid-year budget to prioritize support for SMEs, industries affected by COVID-19 – Finance Minister
    Next Article 69% of Ghanaian businesses on Facebook remain optimistic despite COVID-19 pandemic – Report
    myghanadaily

    myghanadaily is managed by the Publishing Desk. You can reach us via email; info@myghanadaily.com

    Related Posts

    CLOGSAG Announces Nationwide Strike from March 9

    February 19, 2026

    Scholarship Authority Conducts Competitive Exams for Stipendium Hungaricum Programme Applicants

    February 19, 2026

    President Mahama Visits Ghanaian Survivors of Burkina Faso Attack at 37 Military Hospital

    February 19, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • CLOGSAG Announces Nationwide Strike from March 9
    • Scholarship Authority Conducts Competitive Exams for Stipendium Hungaricum Programme Applicants
    • President Mahama Visits Ghanaian Survivors of Burkina Faso Attack at 37 Military Hospital
    • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
    • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    CLOGSAG Announces Nationwide Strike from March 9

    February 19, 2026

    Scholarship Authority Conducts Competitive Exams for Stipendium Hungaricum Programme Applicants

    February 19, 2026

    President Mahama Visits Ghanaian Survivors of Burkina Faso Attack at 37 Military Hospital

    February 19, 2026

    Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages

    February 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      CLOGSAG Announces Nationwide Strike from March 9

      February 19, 2026

      Scholarship Authority Conducts Competitive Exams for Stipendium Hungaricum Programme Applicants

      February 19, 2026

      President Mahama Visits Ghanaian Survivors of Burkina Faso Attack at 37 Military Hospital

      February 19, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • CLOGSAG Announces Nationwide Strike from March 9
      • Scholarship Authority Conducts Competitive Exams for Stipendium Hungaricum Programme Applicants
      • President Mahama Visits Ghanaian Survivors of Burkina Faso Attack at 37 Military Hospital
      • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
      • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
      Like Us On Facebook
      Facebook Pagelike Widget
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.