Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Saturday, August 15
    Trending
    • UEW Hospital suspends OPD services over ongoing GAUA strike
    • GTA shuts down Elmina SSNIT Hotel over failure to meet minimum standards
    • Fibre cuts threaten Ghana’s AI ambitions as telecom operators count millions in losses
    • Telecom Chamber CEO calls for stronger framework to protect Ghana’s digital finance ecosystem
    • Jane Naana commissions five new Ghanaian envoys for diplomatic missions
    • Mahama summons Tema MCE, TDC MD over construction dispute
    • Disputed Yiidana chief, son shot dead in Gushegu
    • MIIF, Cyber Security Authority explore collaboration to strengthen minerals sector cybersecurity
    Janelle Coronation
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunities
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»Education»Consider using double track if schools are to reopen – Africa Education Watch to government
    Education

    Consider using double track if schools are to reopen – Africa Education Watch to government

    Janet SaahBy Janet SaahMay 26, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    An Education think tank, the Africa Education Watch has asked the government to consider the track system if it plans to reopen schools.

    Ghana on Monday, March 16, 2020, closed all schools, universities, and suspended public events to stop the spread of coronavirus in the country.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    President Nana Akufo-Addo announced in an address to the nation that the authorities were shutting schools and universities “until further notice”

    According to the think tank, its proposal will reduce the number of students in schools at a particular time and also deal largely with a potential spread of COVID-19 if schools are reopened.

    The Executive Secretary of Africa Education Watch, Kofi Asare in a Citi News interview said three different batches can be adopted depending on the size of a school.

    “It may depend on the class size in a particular locality –that’s the average class size –because some have larger class sizes.”

    “In countries like, Switzerland and Netherlands they have about three batches going to school so batch 1 goes to school for two days, batch 2 does and batch 3 goes to school on Friday but they will not do 4 hours a day but instead 8 hours. So depending on the municipality’s standard class sizes we may have to do batch not only morning and afternoon but also one could go on an odd day so that we can reasonably distance the students in line with the WHO and the UNESCO protocols,” he said.

    The Ghana Education Service recently wrote to the stakeholders in the education sector to make an input into the reopening of the schools in country since the President Nana Akufo-Addo ordered the closure of same.

    Annul current academic year, start afresh in September – Neogenics Education Group

    Neogenics Education Group, an educational consultancy, had earlier urged the government to nullify the current academic year and start afresh in September following the Coronavirus outbreak in the country.

    According to the group, students should be made to repeat their current year or classes.

    In a press release signed by Grant Bulmuo, Lead Consultant of the group, their call is backed by research that “a child’s absence from school experience has a significant impact on their future successes and life chances.”

    “Research shows that 8 days of absence from school reduces a child’s best chance of success by 4%, 19 days by 10%, 29 days by 15%, 38 days by 20%, and 48 days by 25%. Children in Ghana by the end of May 2020 would have been absent from active learning for almost 50 school days. Your judgement is a good as ours! The majority of our children may hardly remember any of the learning they experienced in school from September 2019.”

    To reopen schools or not to

    The Ghana National Council of Private Schools GNACOPS says the schools should be opened if government believes it’s safe regardless of the rise in COVID-19 cases in the country.

    The position of private schools has been challenged by four teacher unions who are kicking against plans to reopen schools any time soon.

    The four are the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT), Tertiary Education Workers Union (TEWU), and Coalition of Concerned Teachers (CCT).

    In a joint statement, they indicated that items for the observation of the prescribed protocols which includes face masks and alcohol-based sanitizers are not available in the various schools hence their apprehension.

    According to the Teacher Unions, the Ghana Education Service in a circular dated 13th May 2020 had requested for “proposals for the reopening of schools” hence their statement urging government not to consider such decision now.

    Source: citinewsroom.com

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleGhana’s COVID-19 case count rises to 6,964; recoveries now 2,097
    Next Article 5,000 Fans Watch Cup Final… Amid COVID-19 Spectator Ban
    Janet Saah

    Related Posts

    Over 70% of Accra faces high flood risk due to geophysical factors – Research

    August 9, 2026

    World Food Programme Graduates 70 Young Innovators to Provide Innovative Digital Solutions to address Food Insecurity

    June 24, 2026

    USVI Delegation Arrives in Ghana, Kicks Off Trade and Tourism Engagements

    June 8, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • UEW Hospital suspends OPD services over ongoing GAUA strike
    • GTA shuts down Elmina SSNIT Hotel over failure to meet minimum standards
    • Fibre cuts threaten Ghana’s AI ambitions as telecom operators count millions in losses
    • Telecom Chamber CEO calls for stronger framework to protect Ghana’s digital finance ecosystem
    • Jane Naana commissions five new Ghanaian envoys for diplomatic missions
    SPORTS NEWS

    Teenager Gwen Klu to Represent Ghana at Billie Jean King Cup in Botswana

    July 13, 2026

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025
    Site Search
    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    UEW Hospital suspends OPD services over ongoing GAUA strike

    August 14, 2026

    GTA shuts down Elmina SSNIT Hotel over failure to meet minimum standards

    August 14, 2026

    Fibre cuts threaten Ghana’s AI ambitions as telecom operators count millions in losses

    August 14, 2026

    Telecom Chamber CEO calls for stronger framework to protect Ghana’s digital finance ecosystem

    August 14, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:
    [social]
    [social]
    [social_icon link="https://web.facebook.com/myghanadaily" target="_blank" title="Facebook" type="facebook" /]
    [social_icon link="https://twitter.com/myghanadaily" title="Twitter" type="twitter" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.instagram.com/myghanadaily/" title="Instagram" type="instagram" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.linkedin.com/company/ghanadaily/?viewAsMember=true" title="LinkedIn" type="linkedin" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7Vo_hD-KN5TelebUlHthw?view_as=subscriber" title="Youtube" type="youtube" /]
    [social_icon link="https://medium.com/ghana-stories" title="medium" type="medium"]
    [/social]

    Popular Posts

    UEW Hospital suspends OPD services over ongoing GAUA strike

    August 14, 2026

    GTA shuts down Elmina SSNIT Hotel over failure to meet minimum standards

    August 14, 2026

    Fibre cuts threaten Ghana’s AI ambitions as telecom operators count millions in losses

    August 14, 2026

    © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Recent Posts
    • UEW Hospital suspends OPD services over ongoing GAUA strike
    • GTA shuts down Elmina SSNIT Hotel over failure to meet minimum standards
    • Fibre cuts threaten Ghana’s AI ambitions as telecom operators count millions in losses
    • Telecom Chamber CEO calls for stronger framework to protect Ghana’s digital finance ecosystem
    • Jane Naana commissions five new Ghanaian envoys for diplomatic missions
    Like Us On Facebook
    Loading...
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Banner
    © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.