Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Thursday, February 19
    Trending
    • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
    • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
    • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
    • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
    • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
    • NSA Reaffirms Commitment to Timely Payment of Stipends
    • Ministry Provides Psychosocial Support for Victims of Secret Filming Incident
    • Kwaw Kese to Refund Donations Raised for Kwesi Arthur
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»UGANDA: Veteran leader Yoweri Museveni declared election winner
    World

    UGANDA: Veteran leader Yoweri Museveni declared election winner

    ComfortBy ComfortJanuary 18, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    uganda first lady

    Uganda’s long-time President Yoweri Museveni has been re-elected, electoral officials say, amid accusations of vote-rigging by his main rival Bobi Wine.

    Mr Museveni won almost 59% of the vote, with Bobi Wine trailing with about 35%, the Electoral Commission said.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    Bobi Wine, a former pop star, earlier vowed to provide evidence of fraud. The Electoral Commission denies there was vote-rigging in Thursday’s poll.

    Poll monitors have criticised the government closure of internet access.

    The say this undermined confidence. Bobi Wine said he would provide evidence of fraud once the internet was restored.

    Bobi Wine greeting supporters as he voted in Kampala, Uganda - 14 January 2021
    image captionBobi Wine says he represents the younger generation

    Dozens of people were killed during violence in the run-up to the election. Opposition politicians have also accused the government of harassment.

    The result gives President Museveni a sixth term in office.

    The 76 year old, in power since 1986, says he represents stability in the country.

    Meanwhile, Bobi Wine – the stage name for 38-year-old Robert Kyagulanyi – says he has the backing of the youth in one of the world’s youngest nations, where the median age is 16.

    On Friday, as the results came in, Bobi Wine said that Ugandan soldiers had surrounded and breached his home.

    But a government spokesman accused him of “dramatising” the incident “to seek sympathy”.

    What’s the latest on the election results?

    “The electoral commission declares Yoweri Museveni… elected President of the Republic of Uganda,” election commission chairman Justice Simon Mugenyi Byabakama said on Saturday.

    He said turnout was 57% of the almost 18 million registered voters.

    Earlier, Mr Byabakama said the vote had been peaceful, and called on Bobi Wine, who said some of his polling agents were arrested on Thursday, to make public the evidence for his fraud allegations.

    A woman in a mask in front of a mural

    Uganda’s general election

    14 January 2021

    • 18.1mpeople have registered to vote
    • 11candidates are running for president
    • 1of the candidates is a woman, Nancy Kalembe
    • 5elected terms so far for Yoweri Museveni
    • 50% plus 1votes needed for a candidate to avoid a run-off election
    • 529MPs will also be elected

    Source: Uganda electoral commission

    1px transparent line

    The opposition candidate believes the internet shutdown is being used to block communication and as a way of compromising the vote.

    “I will be happy to share the videos of all the fraud and irregularities as soon as the internet is restored,” Bobi Wine said.

    Meanwhile, Mr Wanyama, who is a spokesperson for President Museveni, hit back at Bobi Wine’s claims of vote rigging.

    “He came short of the expectation of Ugandans,” he said in an earlier interview with the BBC. “He had no message and Ugandans have told him he has to wait a little longer.”

    Mr Wanyama added: “We have challenged him to provide proof for his claims, he has not a single iota of evidence.”

    The EU, United Nations and several rights groups have previously raised concerns about the integrity of Uganda’s election.

    • Uganda social media ban raises questions over regulation in Africa

    But, aside from an African Union mission, there is currently no major international group monitoring the vote. Earlier this week the US – a major aid donor to Uganda – cancelled its diplomatic observer mission to the country, saying that the majority of its staff had been denied permission to monitor polling sites.

    How bad was the violence during the campaign?

    Violence reached an unprecedented level in the build-up to the race, and dozens have died during crackdowns by security forces.

    Source: BBC

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    international
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleFootball icon, Drogba divorces wife after 20 years of marriage
    Next Article Signal messaging platform stops working as downloads surge
    Comfort

    Related Posts

    Deepening Ghana-Qatar Strategic Relations: Leveraging Economic Diplomacy, Labour Mobility, and Gulf Investments for National Development

    November 28, 2025

    Amazon streaming services hit by major outage as global cloud unit falters

    October 20, 2025

    Google owner Alphabet unveils £5bn UK AI investment

    September 17, 2025
    LATEST NEWS
    • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
    • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
    • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
    • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
    • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages

    February 19, 2026

    Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care

    February 19, 2026

    FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits

    February 19, 2026

    Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident

    February 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages

      February 19, 2026

      Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care

      February 19, 2026

      FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits

      February 19, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
      • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
      • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
      • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
      • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
      Like Us On Facebook
      Facebook Pagelike Widget
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.