Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Thursday, February 19
    Trending
    • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
    • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
    • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
    • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
    • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
    • NSA Reaffirms Commitment to Timely Payment of Stipends
    • Ministry Provides Psychosocial Support for Victims of Secret Filming Incident
    • Kwaw Kese to Refund Donations Raised for Kwesi Arthur
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»US elections: Joe Biden picks Kamala Harris as his running mate
    World

    US elections: Joe Biden picks Kamala Harris as his running mate

    myghanadailyBy myghanadailyAugust 13, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Joe Biden and Kamala Harris 750x375 1

    Joe Biden has named Kamala Harris as his running mate, making the California senator the first Black and South Asian American woman to run on a major political party’s presidential ticket.

    “I’ve decided that Kamala Harris is the best person to help me take this fight to Donald Trump and Mike Pence and then to lead this nation starting in January 2021,” the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee wrote in an email Tuesday.
    In selecting Harris, Biden adds a former primary rival who centred her own presidential bid on her readiness to take on Donald Trump and show Americans she would fight for them. She rose to national prominence within the Democratic Party by interrogating Trump nominees during Senate hearings, from former Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
    Harris’ selection comes months after Biden committed to picking a woman to join him on the Democratic ticket. Harris, 55, is now the third woman to serve as a vice-presidential candidate for a major political party, following Geraldine Ferraro as the Democratic vice-presidential pick in 1984 and Sarah Palin as the Republican vice-presidential pick in 2008.
    Aware that his age could be a concern to some voters, Biden, 77, has said that he is “a bridge” to a new slate of Democratic leaders, and by selecting Harris, more than 20 years his junior, he has elevated a leading figure from a younger generation within the party.
    Biden’s selection unfolded with the utmost secrecy after a period in which he spoke with the contenders either in person or in face-to-face meetings. He notified several close advisers on Tuesday, two people familiar with the matter told CNN. After considering some 11 women for the post, he and his aides spent time on Tuesday afternoon notifying the VP candidates who he did not choose.
    California Rep. Karen Bass, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, was told by Biden himself that she was not the pick, a source familiar tells CNN. Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams was also informed Tuesday that she is not Biden’s vice presidential pick, a source familiar with the matter tells CNN.
    As part of the selection process, the former vice president spoke directly to the final contenders, according to people familiar with the process, through either face-to-face meetings or remote conversations. Officials would not say which of the candidates visited Biden in person, but CNN confirmed last week that Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had flown to Delaware for a meeting.
    California Sen. Kamala Harris and former Obama national security adviser Susan Rice are among the others seen as the most serious contenders.
    CNN had previously reported that Biden was also believed to be considering Bass, Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, people familiar with the search say.
    In yet another sign that the pick was imminent, a Biden campaign official told CNN on Tuesday that they have assembled the staff for Biden’s future running mate.
    Karine Jean-Pierre, who joined the Biden campaign as a senior adviser in May, will lead the running mate’s team as chief of staff. Jean-Pierre had previously worked for Barack Obama and Martin O’Malley’s presidential campaigns.
    Two veterans of the Obama-Biden administration are also joining the team. Liz Allen, who served as deputy communications director for Biden as vice president as well as deputy communications director in the White House, is joining as communications director to the running mate. And Sheila Nix, who was chief of staff to Biden’s reelection campaign in 2012 and served as Jill Biden’s chief of staff in the White House, will be a senior adviser to the running mate and spouse. The vice presidential pick is expected to also add a few of her own advisers to the team.
    Source: citinewsroom.com

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    international
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleForeign owned shops operating without license at Circle to be shut down today
    Next Article Russia becomes first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine
    myghanadaily

    myghanadaily is managed by the Publishing Desk. You can reach us via email; info@myghanadaily.com

    Related Posts

    Deepening Ghana-Qatar Strategic Relations: Leveraging Economic Diplomacy, Labour Mobility, and Gulf Investments for National Development

    November 28, 2025

    Amazon streaming services hit by major outage as global cloud unit falters

    October 20, 2025

    Google owner Alphabet unveils £5bn UK AI investment

    September 17, 2025
    LATEST NEWS
    • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
    • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
    • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
    • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
    • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages

    February 19, 2026

    Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care

    February 19, 2026

    FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits

    February 19, 2026

    Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident

    February 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages

      February 19, 2026

      Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care

      February 19, 2026

      FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits

      February 19, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • Kenpong Travel and Tours to Launch 2026 World Cup Travel Packages
      • Health Ministry Constitutes Committee to Probe Alleged Denial of Emergency Care
      • FDA Shuts Down 16 Food Establishments Over Lack of Hygiene Permits
      • Ga Mantse Escapes Unhurt in Oti Region Road Accident
      • New Cocoa Producer Price Takes Effect for 2025/26 Season
      Like Us On Facebook
      Facebook Pagelike Widget
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.