Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Thursday, August 20
    Trending
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    • Jomoro Municipal Assembly Launches Free Primary Healthcare Programme
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    Janelle Coronation
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunities
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»International»Trump offers millions of federal workers eight months pay to resign
    International

    Trump offers millions of federal workers eight months pay to resign

    MGD NewsBy MGD NewsFebruary 1, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    President Donald Trump has offered buyout packages to almost all federal workers who do not want to return to the office, a major move designed to shrink the US government.

    In an email sent to millions of employees on Tuesday, his administration told workers they had to decide by 6 February whether they wanted to be part of a “deferred resignation program”.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    If they agreed to leave their jobs by that date, the message said, they would receive about eight months of salary as a severance package.

    The Trump administration expects up to 10% of employees to accept the offer, or around 200,000 of the more than two million workers the federal government employs, according to the BBC’s US partner CBS News.

    Senior Trump officials told US media that the buyouts could save the government up to $100bn (£80bn).

    Workers wishing to take the deal on Tuesday were asked to reply to the email with the word “resign” written into the subject line. The offer includes both pay and benefits for workers until 30 September.

    Certain employees did not receive the offer, including postal workers, members of the military, immigration officials, and some national security workers, according to the email.

    The message from the Office of Personnel Management, the government’s HR agency, on Tuesday evening also warned of future downsizing that could impact those who choose to stay.

    “We cannot give you full assurance regarding the certainty of your position or agency but should your position be eliminated you will be treated with dignity,” it reads.

    The email follows Trump’s earlier announcement that federal employees who had been working remotely since the Covid pandemic would be required to return to the office five days a week.

    Speaking to CNN on Tuesday, Stephen Miller, the White House deputy chief of staff for policy, said the government’s two million workers were “overwhelmingly left of centre”, adding it was “essential” for Trump to “get control of government.”

    Trump repeatedly pledged to cut the size of the government and slash federal spending while on the campaign trail.

    He tasked Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswamy with leading an advisory body focused on cutting regulations, spending, and headcounts within the federal government. Ramaswamy has since left the “Department of Government Efficiency” (Doge).

    But the email on Tuesday bears a resemblance to one sent to Twitter, now X, employees in late 2022 after Musk bought the social media platform. He asked for an emailed response if they wanted to remain at the company.

    The mass buyout offer came at the end of an at-times chaotic day in Washington, following a memo Trump issued which said he would pause federal grants, loans and other assistance.

    A district judge suspended the order – which was initially set to go into effect on Tuesday afternoon – until next Monday.

    In the hours before that decision, there was widespread confusion over which federal programmes and organisations would be impacted. The White House repeatedly sought to assuage concerns that Social Security payments and Medicaid access could be disrupted.

    In a letter to the White House, top Democrats expressed “extreme alarm” about the plan to pause funding.

    Source: myghanadaily

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    International News Trump offers millions of federal workers eight months pay to resign
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleJoey B Expresses Love in New Music Video for “AKORFA” Featuring Lighter TOD
    Next Article 2 Garrison Education Unit launches 60th anniversary, GAFTA 50th anniversary celebrations
    MGD News

    MGD News  is managed by the Publishing Desk. You can reach us via email; info@myghanadaily.com

    Related Posts

    Uganda orders bars to remain closed until 3pm on working days

    August 12, 2026

    Andy Burnham Becomes UK Prime Minister Following Keir Starmer’s Resignation

    July 23, 2026

    US Launches Strikes on Iran After Apache Helicopter Downed in Strait of Hormuz

    June 10, 2026
    LATEST NEWS
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    SPORTS NEWS

    Teenager Gwen Klu to Represent Ghana at Billie Jean King Cup in Botswana

    July 13, 2026

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025
    Site Search
    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament

    August 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:
    [social]
    [social]
    [social_icon link="https://web.facebook.com/myghanadaily" target="_blank" title="Facebook" type="facebook" /]
    [social_icon link="https://twitter.com/myghanadaily" title="Twitter" type="twitter" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.instagram.com/myghanadaily/" title="Instagram" type="instagram" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.linkedin.com/company/ghanadaily/?viewAsMember=true" title="LinkedIn" type="linkedin" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7Vo_hD-KN5TelebUlHthw?view_as=subscriber" title="Youtube" type="youtube" /]
    [social_icon link="https://medium.com/ghana-stories" title="medium" type="medium"]
    [/social]

    Popular Posts

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Recent Posts
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    Like Us On Facebook
    Loading...
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Banner
    © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.