Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Saturday, May 23
    Trending
    • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
    • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
    • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
    • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
    • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
    • Doctor Sues Three Major Hospitals, AG Over Alleged Negligence in Brother’s Death
    • SSNIT Denies Plans to Sell Hotels, Clarifies Consultancy Engagement
    • Mahama Begins Two-Day “Resetting Ghana Tour” of Savannah Region
    Your Marketplace Banner
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunites
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»World»Man arrested for setting South Africa’s houses of Parliament on fire
    World

    Man arrested for setting South Africa’s houses of Parliament on fire

    Nathasia NarteyBy Nathasia NarteyJanuary 3, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    President Cyril Ramaphosa Cape Town fire 696x392 1
    President Ramaphosa (left) visited parliament to inspect the damage

    A man has been arrested for setting the Houses of Parliament in the South African city of Cape Town on fire. The fire has severely damaged almost everything in the building.

    A police spokesperson said the man was facing charges of arson, housebreaking and theft, and would appear in court on Tuesday.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    Firefighters worked for hours to extinguish the blaze.

    President Cyril Ramaphosa called it a “terrible and devastating event”, as he vowed parliament’s work would continue.

    Footage from the scene on Sunday showed a plume of black smoke filling the sky, with huge flames coming out from the roof of the building.

    Officials said the fire started on the third-floor offices and quickly spread to the National Assembly (the parliament’s lower house) chamber, reports the BBC’s Nomsa Maseko in Cape Town.

    The parliament is not currently in session because of the holidays, and no injuries were reported.

    Brigadier Nomthandazo Mbambo said the suspect is also expected to be charged under the National Key Points Act, which protects sites of strategic importance. Further details were not immediately available.

    In a statement on Sunday night, South Africa’s parliament confirmed that there had been “significant damage” to the New Assembly Wing of the building, which includes the National Assembly chamber where lawmakers sit. It also said some offices had been “severely gutted”.

    The fire, which began shortly after 06:00 local time (04:00 GMT), came the day after Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s state funeral at St George’s Cathedral, near parliament.

    Mr Ramaphosa, who visited the scene, said news of the fire was a “terrible setback to what we were basking in yesterday”, and added that Archbishop Tutu would also have been devastated.

    He said the building’s sprinkler system had not functioned properly and praised firefighters for responding to the fire in minutes.

    Jean-Pierre Smith, a member of the Cape Town mayoral committee for safety and security, told reporters that the roof above the old assembly hall was “completely gone” and further damage inside the old chamber had not yet been evaluated.

    “It is not possible to see whether it’s damaged. We hope it is not because it has so many historical artefacts, but you can’t gain access to it without breaking the doors down and we don’t want to do that,” he said.

    He also said that parliament’s fire alarm only rang when firefighters were already on site.

    Fire and rescue service officials earlier said it would take hours to put the fire out completely because of the carpets and wooden floors in the building.

    The Houses of Parliament in Cape Town are made up of three sections, with the oldest dating back to 1884. The newer sections built in the 1920s and 1980s house the National Assembly. Meanwhile, the government is based in Pretoria.

    Mr Ramaphosa on Sunday spoke of his sadness at “this destruction of the home of our democracy”.

    Parliament, meanwhile, said “all efforts” would be made to limit any disruption to its work.

    Cape Town’s Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis said the city’s Council Chamber would be made available as an alternative place for parliament to meet.

    “We want to see parliament continue its important work, and we will do what we can to help,” he said

    Source: BBC news

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous Article“Your behaviour at Wildaland festival was disrespectful, disgusting, insulting”-,Victoria Lebenee to Mr Drew
    Next Article Ghana Police probe alleged assault of journalist by CID officer
    Nathasia Nartey

    Related Posts

    Amazon streaming services hit by major outage as global cloud unit falters

    October 20, 2025

    Google owner Alphabet unveils £5bn UK AI investment

    September 17, 2025

    Chef Hilda Baci officially sets record with largest Nigerian jollof serving

    September 16, 2025
    LATEST NEWS
    • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
    • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
    • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
    • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
    • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
    SPORTS NEWS

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025

    Felix Afena-Gyan Joins Amedspor on Season-Long Loan

    August 21, 2025
    Site Search
    No feed found with the ID 1. Go to the All Feeds page and select an ID from an existing feed.

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training

    May 22, 2026

    Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie

    May 22, 2026

    Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West

    May 22, 2026

    Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission

    May 22, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:

      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      • LinkedIn
      • Youtube
      • medium
      Popular Posts

      National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training

      May 22, 2026

      Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie

      May 22, 2026

      Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West

      May 22, 2026

      © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

      • About
      • Privacy
      • Terms of Service
      • Contact
      Recent Posts
      • National Ambulance Service Rejects Claims of Poor EMT Training
      • Landlord Arrested Over Alleged Murder of Tenant in Medie
      • Nassco Feeding Minds and Deloitte Commission ICT Centre to Boost Girls’ Digital Skills in Upper West
      • Bagbin Clarifies MPs Can Be Arrested Without Speaker’s Permission
      • COCOBOD Denies Officials’ Involvement in Private Cocoa Buying Activities
      Like Us On Facebook
      Loading...
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
      • Instagram
      Banner
      © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.