Close Menu
MyGhanaDaily
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    MyGhanaDaily
    Sunday, August 23
    Trending
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    • Jomoro Municipal Assembly Launches Free Primary Healthcare Programme
    • GES Dismisses Claims of GH¢1,500 Payment for SHS Items
    • Hakainde Hichilema Re-Elected Zambia’s President with 60% of Vote
    Janelle Coronation
    • News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Fashion
      • Celebrity news
    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Opportunities
    • Videos
    • More
      • Education
      • Tourism
      • History
      • Feature
      • Opinion
      • World
    MyGhanaDaily
    Home»Technology»Produce USB-C chargers for all phones – European Commission rules
    Technology

    Produce USB-C chargers for all phones – European Commission rules

    EnyonamBy EnyonamSeptember 24, 2021No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Manufacturers will be forced to create a universal charging solution for phones and small electronic devices, under a new rule proposed by the European Commission (EC).

    The aim is to reduce waste by encouraging consumers to re-use existing chargers when buying a new device.

    Send your stories to Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140

    All smartphones sold in the EU must have USB-C chargers, the proposal said.

    Apple has warned such a move would harm innovation.

    The tech giant is the main manufacturer of smartphones using a custom charging port, as its iPhone series uses an Apple-made “Lightning” connector.

    “We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world,” the firm told the BBC.

    It added that it aims to make every Apple device and usage carbon neutral by 2030.

    Most Android phones come with USB micro-B charging ports, or have already moved to the more modern USB-C standard.

    New models of the iPad and MacBook use USB-C charging ports, as do high-end phone models from popular Android manufacturers such as Samsung and Huawei.

    The changes would apply to the charging port on the device body, whereas the end of the cable connecting to a plug could be USB-C or USB-A.

    Around half of chargers sold with mobile phones in the European Union in 2018 had a USB micro-B connector, while 29% had a USB C connector and 21% a Lightning connector, a Commission impact assessment study in 2019 found.

    The proposed rules will apply to:

    smartphones
    tablets
    cameras
    headphones
    portable speakers
    handheld video game consoles
    Other products including earbuds, smart-watches and fitness trackers were not considered for technical reasons linked to size and use conditions.

    The proposal also standardises fast charging speeds – meaning devices capable of fast charging will be charged at the same speeds.

    Preventing waste
    EU politicians have been campaigning for a common standard for over a decade, with the Commission’s research estimating that disposed of and unused charging cables generate more than 11,000 tonnes of waste per year.

    In the European Union, around 420 million mobile phones and other portable electronic devices were sold in the last year.

    The average person owns around three mobile phone chargers, of which they use two regularly.

    In 2009, there were more than 30 different chargers, whereas now most models stick to three – the USB-C, Lightning and USB micro-B.

    “Having one common charging standard would be a victory for common sense in the eyes of consumers,” Ben Wood, an analyst at CCS Insight said.

    “Although Apple has made a strong argument for keeping its Lightning connector, given the one billion active iPhone users, some of its products including Mac and iPad now support USB-C.

    “Hopefully it will eventually become a non-issue if Apple keeps adding USB-C to more devices.”

    It may be a number of years before the proposals come into effect.

    The legislative proposal, known as a Directive, will be debated by the European Parliament and national governments.

    MEPs and member states may suggest amendments to the proposal. Only once the EC has agreed these amendments, will the directive be enacted.

    The EC hopes that will happen in 2022 – after which member states usually have two years to enact the rules into national law, and manufacturers will have 24 months to change their charging ports.

    “We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions,” Commission Vice President Margrethe Vestager said.

    Source: BBC

    Send your news stories to
    Email: myghanadaily@gmail.com • WhatsApp: +233 577 145 140
    Advertise with us | Follow our WhatsApp channel for more news
    usb-c chargers
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleGhana to soon produce fertilisers locally
    Next Article Hillary Clinton to be officially installed as chancellor of Queens University
    Enyonam

    Related Posts

    Amazon streaming services hit by major outage as global cloud unit falters

    October 20, 2025

    MTN Ghana reaffirms commitment to equipping young people with digital skills

    August 21, 2025

    Tecno Opens Pre-Order for 32-Megapixel Selfie Camera – The SPARK 9 Series

    June 7, 2022
    LATEST NEWS
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    SPORTS NEWS

    Teenager Gwen Klu to Represent Ghana at Billie Jean King Cup in Botswana

    July 13, 2026

    MILO U-13 Champions League Returns After Five-Year Break

    November 17, 2025

    2026 FIFA WCQ: Ghana beats Mali

    September 9, 2025

    The Black Stars Podcast: A six-part dive into Ghana’s football history, struggles and sparks of glory

    August 30, 2025

    2026 World Cup qualifiers: Black Stars set to open camp on September 1

    August 27, 2025
    Site Search
    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Latest News

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament

    August 19, 2026
    About
    About

    myghanadaily.com is one of Ghana’s fastest-growing news platforms, delivering high-quality, creative, and independent news

    Contact us: info@myghanadaily.com

    We're social, connect with us:
    [social]
    [social]
    [social_icon link="https://web.facebook.com/myghanadaily" target="_blank" title="Facebook" type="facebook" /]
    [social_icon link="https://twitter.com/myghanadaily" title="Twitter" type="twitter" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.instagram.com/myghanadaily/" title="Instagram" type="instagram" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.linkedin.com/company/ghanadaily/?viewAsMember=true" title="LinkedIn" type="linkedin" /]
    [social_icon link="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7Vo_hD-KN5TelebUlHthw?view_as=subscriber" title="Youtube" type="youtube" /]
    [social_icon link="https://medium.com/ghana-stories" title="medium" type="medium"]
    [/social]

    Popular Posts

    KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures

    August 19, 2026

    Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman

    August 19, 2026

    Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’

    August 19, 2026

    © 2020-2024. MyGhanaDaily. All Rights Reserved

    • About
    • Privacy
    • Terms of Service
    • Contact
    Recent Posts
    • KNUST Hostel Owners Push Back Against Rent Control Measures
    • Nearly 600 Million Africans Lack Access to Electricity – GAEC Board Chairman
    • Amerado Set to Release New EP, ‘The Price of Becoming’
    • NIA Clarifies Ghana Card Fees, Says Charges Were Approved by Parliament
    • Salome Nketia Announces Maiden Edition of ‘Dwell with Salome Nketia’
    Like Us On Facebook
    Loading...
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Banner
    © 2019 -2025 Copyright | MyGhanaDaily.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.